The Provincial Government of Cavite and the SPIA Development Consortium will sign the joint venture development agreement for the $10-billion Sangley Point International Airport (SPIA) project on September 14. The Sangley Point International Airport was a part of the Build, Build, Build Program and was an alternative to the otherwise congested Ninoy Aquino International Airport. This project aims to decongest Metro Manila’s crowded airports.
Cavite provincial government confirmed that any other bidder did not challenge the proposal for the SPIA Consortium. The SPIA Consortium comprises the following firms and companies:
- Yuchengco Group of Companies
- MacroAsia Corporation
- Cavitex Holdings Inc.
The following global firms also accompanied the three local companies:
- Samsung C&T Corporation, South Korea
- Munich Airport International GmbH, Munich Airport’s management services arm
- Arup Group, London
After accomplishing contract signing this week and completing the detailed plan, construction of the Sangley Point International Airport will begin in 2023. Cavite Governor Juanito Victor Remulla also added that he hopes to see the completion of the airport’s first phase in the next three to five years.
The Sangley Point International Airport is part of former President Rodrigo Duterte’s Build, Build, Build Infrastructure Program that saw many delays before the current situation today. It was a part of his efforts to ease air traffic congestion at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The project was first inaugurated in 2020, when the former President unveiled the project marker.
Once the last planning, design, and financial closing are done, the project will push through. It will start with the construction of the 4.6-kilometer road that runs from the Kawit Interchange of CAVITEX to Sangley, with an estimated completion time of two years.
Once completed, the Sangley Point International Airport is expected to become an alternative to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and a way to help boost the country’s economic growth. The Sangley Point International Airport is also a promising project to help the local aviation and tourism industries. It is envisioned as a world-class, fully modernized, and green airport that’s expected to increase the air transport demand for the next three to four decades.
For the latest updates, news, and information about the construction industry, subscribe to Pinoy Builders for free.
- Insight, M. B. (2022, September 11). Cavite set to sign JV on Sangley airport with consortium. Malaya.com.ph. https://malaya.com.ph/news_business/cavite-set-to-sign-jv-on-sangley-airport-with-consortium/
- Balinbin, A. (2022, August 22). Consortium to sign contract for Sangley airport in Sept. BusinessWorld Online. https://www.bworldonline.com/top-stories/2022/08/23/469965/consortium-to-sign-contract-for-sangley-airport-in-sept/
- Du, M. (2022, September 5). What the Sangley Airport Means for Our Economy | Crown Asia. CrownAsia. https://www.crownasia.com.ph/news-and-blogs/lifestyle-blogs/selected/what-the-sangley-airport-means-for-our-economy
- Piad, T. J. C. (2022, August 23). SPIA bags $11-B Sangley airport contract. INQUIRER.net. https://business.inquirer.net/358567/spia-bags-11-b-sangley-airport-contract
- Duterte inaugurates Sangley airport project. (2020, February 16). Www.pna.gov.ph. https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1093963